Grain Salad- An Easy Garden Lunch

1:17:00 PM

Grain salad is a regular on our lunch menu. I love it for its heartiness and healthiness. My kids love it for its yummy flavor. It is easy and adaptable to whatever is ready to harvest from the garden, or whatever veggies are in the refrigerator from the store or farmer's market.



(Keep in mind that most of my recipes are "un-recipes" because I just make stuff up as I go, tasting and adjusting seasoning until I like it.)

This recipe feeds 7 people lunch with a serving or two leftover.

Grain Salad

1 cup brown rice
1 cup calrose rice
1/2 cup quinoa 

Cook in a rice cooker with slightly less water than your cooker calls for, for a lightly more al dente texture. Cool to slightly warm or room temperature.

Chop several cups of vegetables into dices. (Our veg du jour were cucumber, carrots, snow peas.) Add chosen seasonings and oil to the veg to start marinating it. (Today I used olive oil, rice vinegar (I would have used lemon juice if my allergic son could tolerate it), basil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper for an Italian flavor.) I also added a small amount of diced rotisserie chicken today, just because it was leftover in the fridge, but usually we have vegetarian grain salads.

Stir in the cooled grain mixture. Serve.

Really, the sky is the limit for the flavor combinations you can create with this salad. Today we went Italian with it, but here are a few more of our favorite combos:

For a Mexican flavor twist:

Veg:
corn
jalepeno/serrano (finely diced)
tomato
black beans
avocado

Seasoning:
Garlic
Chili powder
Smoked paprika
salt
avocado oil
lime juice (rice vinegar for us)

For an Asian flavor twist:

Veg: (Quickly stir fried)
Asian long noodle beans
Asian cabbage
Broccoli
Carrots
Green Onion
Garlic

Seasoning:
Soy sauce
rice vinegar
garlic
red pepper flakes
ginger powder





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Latest Instagram

Flickr Images